Monday, September 19, 2011

Wonky Quilt

Wonky-adjective. Askew, awry, cockeyed, lopsided.
Before you scroll to look at the pictures read this first! (You scrolled didn’t you? Shame, shame, shame, the courts know your name!)
I finally finished Brenan’s blanket, which I am calling the Wonky Quilt (my previous blog named it the Crooked Little Log Cabin Quilt, but I like Wonky better). Because of all the small pieces, I wanted the top to have more strength than just what knotting would provide and I didn’t want to hand quilt it (I know how to quilt but I just don’t enjoy it and this would have required a lot of stitch-in-the-ditch) so I decided to machine top-stitch:

The edges were a challenge because sewing a wonky block does not always give a uniform edge when said blocks are sewn together. I had to add a couple little edge strips because even though the blocks are wonky I wanted the edges to be straight for the border.
The only law of wonkiness is to not be straight; planned wonkiness is no wonkiness at all.
Then I found a pattern online for a teddy bear, which I have named Basil. I looked up Bulgarian “B” names, to go with Brenan, and think Basil is a fantastic name for a teddy bear! However, the blog from whence the pattern came had terrible directions and I spent hours trying to get the arms sewn onto the body! I finally read the comments and discovered that just about everyone else had trouble with the arms, too! So I started the arms over and actually had to redesign the pattern and finally got them to fit!
This was fun but was a challenge! I hope Brenan will love it!

Do you like the Wonky Quilt?
  • Yes, of course! It’s the most wonkiest quilt I’ve ever seen and your grandson will love it!
  • No, it makes me queasy.
  • No! Have you been eating fermented apples like that Drunk Moose Found in a Tree in Sweden??!!
  • Maybe. I’m not sure. Maybe if I squint when I look at it.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Awww! It's awesome! I can't wait to see it in person! So when are you going to come down here to visit and deliver it?! ;) I know, I know, yall are busy, too. We miss you so much!

Basil is awesome, too. I'm amazed by your creativity!

Danae said...

I love that you used the word wonky. It makes me think of Leiah, because she is the only other person I've ever heard use that word.

Deb said...

I learned the word wonky at camp but it was from Kayla B! I researched it before I used it because I've used slang before and have been told by my children to "never use that word/phrase again, mom!"

thejoneses said...

I really like that Basil's eyes are moon shaped, it looks like he/she is smiling.

Deb said...

He. It's a boy name. You can't see in the picture but there is a tuck sewn into the muzzle that looks like a smiley mouth!