Thursday, September 8, 2011

Crooked Little Log Cabin

     I am working on a quilt for my Sweet B (that's my grandson Brenan). I decided to use a log cabin design and work with a lot of small prints. I found a soft knobby green fabric for the back and used that as the basis for the color scheme. I wanted the blocks to be small so each strip is just 1 1/4" wide, which when sewed are only 3/4"--truly a small block!


     After sewing only a few blocks I realized I wanted to do something different, not just the straight-up-everything-is-square block. So, instead of pinning each strip and making sure all the corners and prints were straight, I just sewed and let the pieces move.
     This is hard for me! I want all my edges straight and all my corners square! What if someone looks at this quilt and thinks, "Sheesh, this woman doesn't know how to sew!" But I persist and ignore all the finger-wagging-sewing-experts-nagging voices in my head.
     I am liking the results! It is fun and is visually interesting. There is definietly movement because the lines are just slightly off kilter. It's like one of those optical illusion thingys that make you squint a little when you look at it.
    
     I decided to call it the "Crooked Little Log Cabin" quilt. And here is a poem I just wrote...

There was a crooked boy and he had a crooked quilt,
He took a crooked ruler and using it he built
A crooked log cabin with a mighty crooked floor,
And he always chased his meatballs as they rolled right out the door.

4 comments:

mattmarie said...

Looks as if you are having fun sharing of yourself with little Brenan!! What joy!

Thinking of you often these days...

K.S.Crouse said...

I have sewing envy..

thejoneses said...

i couldnt really tell in the text you sent me, but i like it a lot.

Jen said...

I love the quilt AND the poem! :)