Thursday, October 6, 2011

Recycle, Repurpose, Reuse

I love visiting MCC Connections because I just never know what I will find!! I try to cruise through the whole store (except the men's department, unless Bob asks me to buy him something specific). The other day I was just looking around and I found this sweet little wooden box.


It smelled so good inside...I bet the tea was yummy! It was only $2 and it is a nice solid box so I bought it. I was thinking of a jewelry box or maybe storage for embroidery thread.

Today I was feeling crafty (which is really odd for me). I made a table runner (picture pending) and then thought I'd see what I could create with the box.

First I took out the inner dividers, which I will keep because they are a sturdy balsa wood. Then I dug through my fabric to see what inspired me. I found some beautiful silky embroidered fabric that I've had for awhile and decided to use that.

Then I busted out a can of spray adhesive and lightweight cardboard. I measured the inside of the box and cut the cardboard accordingly, then lightly sprayed it with the adhesive and pressed it on the fabric.
I carefully sprayed adhesive around the edges and folded the raw edge to the back of the cardboard. This was a sticky challenge and I had to clean my fingers with fingernail polish remover a couple of times!

This was the final result! It turned out beautifully I think!

Then I wanted to make a padded cover for the lid. And wouldn't you know...my spray adhesive ran out! So I had to use good old Elmer's for this:


The picture doesn't show the color very well (since it is so shiny it reflects the flash) but all the fabric backgrounds are dark choclate brown).

I do believe this turned into a jewelry box, eh?

And here is the table runner:

Inspired by this one fat quarter:


2 comments:

thejoneses said...

Do you remember why we had that silky fabric??? It was to alter my pants and make the bottoms more bell-like.

Deb said...

Nope, I didn't remember that! Did we actually accomplish that?