Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Reflections on my last day

              Cora, Rochelle and I have been washing windows all week. This is a huge project and it's gross in the fall due to all the dust and spiders. We did all the buildings (except the VS cabin, Oak & Hickory, and the cabins) in three days. I discovered that Cora likes climbing. We together discovered the poison ivy behind the Dining Hall. I like washing windows because there are obvious results which bring great satisfaction. The view is significantly improved!
                Today Central’s Middle School was there having their school day out. Cora remarked about how awesome it was that on my last day at camp there was the sound of kids and the bell ringing. I totally agreed that this was a wonderful sound to my ears! As I continued to wash windows I reflected (get it? Reflected…windows…?) on her words.
                I believe that much of my purpose in leadership was to re-found and reposition the camp on its vision and purpose. I also strongly believed that those who work at camp (year-round and summer staff) needed to have spiritual guidance and nourishment. Camp ministry is all about relationships; with God and with others. Camp is also a vital evangelistic arm of the Church. I am humbly confident that my leadership helped develop and strengthen all these areas. Really, just as I was washing away grime from windows to provide clearer vision, I believe my time at Luz helped wash away any “grime” to offer clearer vision for the future.
                These thoughts were confirmed by the sounds of laughter, fellowship, and the bell ringing to invite people to move and gather (see previous post on the bell). God planned that my final day would be blessed by joyful noise!
                I do not like long good-byes. So when we were finished with windows, I decided to leave. There just was not anything else for me to do. My soul and my heart were ready. Leaving my keys on the desk, notes for the staff, and with hugs (and some tears), I said my farewells.
                For over ten years when I would drive in the camp lane in the morning, I never stopped marveling at the amazing responsibility God had given me as the leader of such an amazing ministry as Camp Luz. As I drove out on this last day, I was thankful. Thankful for the memories, for the people with whom I’ve walked, thankful for the difficult experiences that rasped off my rough edges, thankful for the glimpses of the Divine, thankful for the powerful worship….just plain thankful.
                May God bless the camp physically and spiritually as those who lead continue to seek His vision and purpose!

Peace.

3 comments:

K.S.Crouse said...

Love you Deb, can't wait to see what God has for you to do next...

mattmarie said...

Waiting with you, dear friend!!

Erin said...

i will always be thankful for my time at camp..thank you for all you do and did!! :) love!!