Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mystery

Story 1
I sat beside the bed of an unresponsive dying person, surrounded by those who cared and who expressed their love with tears and touch. Someone said, "Go ahead and do what you do." So I read some scripture of promise and assurance. Then I opened my hymnal. I sang the verses of "Amazing Grace." I silently asked God what to sing next, and turned to "Oh, the deep, deep love of Jesus."

The breathing began to slow, color to fade.

"Jesus, I am resting, resting"

Quietness, peacefulness, slowing of time and breath. Until, with the words "Resting neath thy smile Lord Jesus, earth's dark shadows flee" the veil between present and eternity parted and the dying one breathed celestial air in the presence of God.

The experience of singing while a child of God took those final earthly steps and first heavenly baby steps exposed a glimpse of mystery to me. There was a part of me that wanted to follow; imagine the surprise, the party, the glory! But we who remained at the bedside began to pick up, clean up, grieve, and go about the work of living on this side of the separating veil

Story 2
I recently attended a retreat during which the speaker used this painting The five thousand on a meditation of Mark 6:35-44. There is much going on in the painting and I encourage you to study it along with the biblical text. One of the major movements in the painting goes from the bottom right, diagonally up and around to the top right. The pastor is faceless (and thus genderless), is preaching from the Bible--"breaking the Bread"--feeding the people's souls, while they eat the fish and chips that feeds their bodies.

And right behind the pastor is a rectangle of blackness. Mystery.

It overwhelms me, as it should, this call to be the faceless one who stands before the hungry, the indifferent, the busy, the attentive; to preach and teach, to enter the mystery and be the hands and feet of Christ.

"Am I willing to be faceless one so that others will see and feed on Jesus?"

---
These two stories represent my call to active work and to sit vigil; to minister to the living and the dying. I passionately want, desperately need, to continue to grip this mystery; the presence of the Holy Trinity in the daily rhythms of being and doing.

Ever lift Thy face upon me,
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting 'neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth's dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father's glory,
Sunshine of my Father's face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.

No comments: