Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lesson From Low Pressure


Taken from my journal on October 23, 2008
I sat on the boat dock this morning and prayed, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Then, I listened.

The water was moving; the wind blew the surface and when the ripples hit the far shore they would bounce back. Then whatever was in the way (boats, branches, etc.) created more ripples, which all crisscrossed each other on the surface (how does that work, exactly?). Bugs jumped around lightly on the surface tension. The water reflected the sky and the shoreline.

There was a lot going on, on the water.

There was a lot going on in the water. Under the surface, even though I could not see it, I knew there was activity as well. In addition to wildlife, the water was cooling, changing temperature for winter.

Then my eyes paused on the dam and I pondered it for a while. The water was contained by its structure but if a hole were to occur, the water would push its way through. Water always seeks the lowest and least resistant place to flow; gravity is the force that governs water’s movement and water is always seeking to release itself to that force.

The activity of the wind caught my eye. The sun, shining behind the fall colors, was brilliant. Way up on the tops of the trees a breeze blew and I watched it jump from treetop to treetop. If I let my eyes stay on any one spot, the movement of all the colored leaves sparkling in the sun was just astounding. What governs the movement of wind? Scientifically, the earth’s rotation, friction, and atmospheric high and low pressure are at work to cause wind. In the later, wind blows from a high pressure towards a low pressure area, which fit alongside my thoughts on water.

I asked God for spiritual imagination.

When I humble myself before God, physically and spiritually; crucifying self, prostrating myself, kneeling….the Spirit (the ruach wind/breath of God) rushes in. Like water seeking the least resistant places, like wind seeking the low pressure, the Spirit seeks the humble in order to raise up Jesus Christ.

I pondered this in relation to Philippians 2:6-8; the humility of Jesus, lowering himself from glory, lowered to being human, lowered to death on a cross… and then 9-11; rising on the power of resurrection, ascension, and glory!

And the Spirit rushed in (Acts 2:1-4) to occupy the God-space in each believer.

I pictured this in my mind; me lying prostrate, the Holy Spirit rushing in, and thermals of praise rising to God.
A powerful image and lesson taught to me from nature by the Spirit.

Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord…
Get out of the way…
So that…
The King of glory can rush in. 

No comments: