Thursday, August 19, 2010

I sat in a seminar all day

     I sat in a seminar from 9 am - 5 pm today. The speaker said that every Executive Director of a nonprofit should have a blog. Well, that intrigued me. As soon as I got home I went running and while doing so, the name of this blog came to me (breathing heavily provided my brain with more oxygen, I guess). This is a phrase I've said for 10 years; some people call it "teachable moments." It involves being aware of every thing that one experiences with one's senses, including the "spiritual sense," which is sensitivity to the activity of the Holy Spirit. There are spiritual lessons all around us if we just pay attention.
     So here is my first thought. Recently, friends of mine had a beautiful baby girl. They had some wonderful pictures taken of their new family and in one photo alll you see are the arms and hands of the new dad holding a mostly naked and crying baby. I immediately thought of the following verse:

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Is 41:10 NIV

     Through the Bible, the "right hand" of God offers images of power, righteousness, strength, victory, and salvation. But here in Is 41 the image is of tenderness, care, and mercy. Wonderful compassion and gentleness from an Omnipotent God!
     I hear these words echoed in Jesus' words in John 14:27:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

     The image of my friend holding his crying newborn instantly caused me to reflect on this astounding truth. I've been that crying infant--but no matter how much I cried, God continued to hold me in His loving embrace; with both strength and tenderness. Be encouraged by this image and, like an infant, rest in the loving arms of your Heavenly Father.

Peace.